Tuesday 31 January 2012

AUSTRALIAN OPEN 2012 WINNERS

Novak Djokovic of Serbia  defeated Spain's Rafael Nadal in the men's singles final at the Australian Open tennis championship, in Melbourne, Australia on Sunday, January  29, 2012. The match took 5 hours and 53 minutes, the longest recorded in Grand Slam history.

Novak Djokovic world No. 1 with winning trophy (left) with Rafael Nadal (right)

“It’s one of the greatest wins of my career because we played for so long, almost six hours and just thinking about it makes me cry”, Djokovic said. “I’m very proud to be part of this history, part of the elite of the players that have won this tournament several times. The facts are that I’m at the peak of my career”, he said. “I feel physically and mentally at the peak, I feel strong, I feel motivated, I fee eager to win more trophies”. 
Victoria Azarenka with her winning trophy (left) beside Maria Sharapova (right)

Known for her volatile temperament and eleven months after threatening to quit tennis, 22 year old Victoria Azarenka, emerged as No. 1,  defeating Maria Sharapova and winning Australian Open 2012 Women's Single Title.  'I guess I made a pretty smart decision not walking out,' said Azarenka after winning her title. 'I have learned no one road goes straight; there are always ups and downs.' 'I had the perfect ending and I am in the perfect position,' said Azarenka.


Leander Paes and parnter Elena Vesnina (left) and winners of Australian Mixed doubles title Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Horia Tecau (right)

Bethanie Mattek-Sands from U.S.A and her partner Horia Tecau from Romania won the Australian Open 2012 mixed doubles title on Sunday beating Elena Vesnina from Russia and Leander Paes from India.

No comments: