Friday 20 July 2012

POMEGRANATE - MAGICAL SUPER FRUIT FOR HEALTH


The other day I was at Geant Hypermarket and I saw these wonderful looking pomegranates with bright red skin, and I thought, gosh it's been quite sometime since I've bought some. When my husband cut them open, I loved what I saw,  the seeds resembled deep red ruby stones. This must be a particular variety of pomegranates because there are several varieties imported from different countries. I've tried various kinds before, but this was special; ruby red in color,  they were very juicy and actually tasted sweet and quite divine!. Ever since I ate them, I been wanting to blog about the health benefits of pomegranates.   Pomegranates do wonders for your health if you include them as often as possible in your diet. In a separate post I'll  be sharing legends and beliefs surrounding this ancient fruit. You'd be surprised to know that excavation of early bronze age (3500-2000 B.C.) has shown that pomengranates were one of the first cultivated fruits! Amazing isn't it? Interestingly, in Buddhism, pomegranate is one of the three blessed fruits besides peaches and citrus. If you like body creams with fruity fragrance, try Pomegranate Body Butter from Marks & Spencer (one of my favourites).

Here's why I recommend pomegranate as a super fruit you should include in your diet. Let's take a look at the health benefits.

* Fights cell damage
* Controls weight
* Helps in avoiding clumping of blood platelets and prevents blood unnecessary blood clots.
* Powerful antioxidant
* Loaded with vitamins and minerals, especially B vitamins
* Lowers cholesterol
* Lowers blood pressure
* Keep heart disorders at bay; believed to prevent heart attack and strokes
* Has anti cancer effects that can inhibit breast cancer, prostate cancer, colon cancer and leukemia
* Phytochemical compounds in pomegranates stimulate serotonin which combats depression
* Improves immune system
* Slows down alzheimers
* Prevents osteoarthritis
* Has anti-ageing properties
* Promotes smooth healthy skin

No comments: