Wednesday 1 August 2012

POPEYE AND OLIVE OYL


I'm Popeye the Sailor Man. I'm strong to the finish cause I eats me spinach.  I'm Popeye the Sailor Man - toot toot!. 

Remember Popeye the strong muscular sailor man who was short, bald headed, honest, innocent, loved spinach and adored his lady love Olive Oyl and always smoked a pipe?. Olive Oyl on the other hand was tall, skiny, cute, a bit naive and always in distress. Then the other sailor Bluto who was trying to woo Olive Oyl and win her attention? Whenever Popeye felt he was on the verge of losing a battle with his rival Bluto (aka Brutus), he would open a can of spinach, gulp it right down and gain strength and muscle and fight Brutus and free Olive from his clutches. As a child I used to love watching Popeye cartoons and I wondered why is Olive Oyl so skinny and why is Popeye's arms so humungous and why did he like spinach - those were the days I never liked spinach and my mother would say, look at popeye eating spinach and that's why he is so strong. The trick didnt work, but I began to enjoy spinach way later in life. Anyways, I happened to come across this cartoon, that evoked childhood memories. I think my daughter and son too would have watched Popeye and Olive in their childhood days.

Popeye the Sailorman character was created by Elzie Crisler Segar in February 1929 for the comic strip Thimble Theatre. Do you know the character of Olive Oly was created by Segar in 1919, ten years before Popeye!


No comments: